About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Tuesday 28 February 2012

I do....not!

With 2012 being a leap year I am predicting many women over the world will be using this opportunity to get down on one knee and propose to their beloved, however I find the idea of doing that quite odd! I’m all for making changes and doing things in order to get what you want in life, but when it comes to marriage, I am a traditionalist and would only ever expect my boyfriend to be the one who does the asking, providing he got permission from my Dad first!

That’s not to say I don’t admire those who do decide to pop the question. You only need to Google “leap year proposals” to see the huge number of suggestions, ideas and ways in which women have asked loved ones for their hand in marriage, but personally, I still can’t help but find it all a little strange. I would prefer if a man asked me because I think it’s more romantic. I want to be caught off guard with a nice diamond ring and swoon over it when I talk to my friends about how he proposed. How can that happen if I was the one who asked? It just wouldn’t be the same, and somehow I just can’t picture myself getting down on one knee and holding out a little box asking that all important question. Plus I couldn’t handle the rejection if he said no, especially after all the effort that I would put into choosing the ring and making sure the time was right to ask him. 

If you are one of the lovely ladies out there planning to propose this year, I salute your bravery. I’m sure the man in your life will lovingly accept your offering and I hope your lives together will be a happy one. For me however, I am still waiting to find my man and look forward to the day when I do because marriage and having children is something I want more than anything and I will happily accept when he asks me!

2 comments:

  1. While I understand the idea of a romantic surprise is one that many people want and have dreamt about, I think it is somewhat outdated nowadays. With the roles of men and women so different I find it hard to understand why such a vital decision as this should be left to one person in the relationship. Especially if people are already sharing aspects of their lives. I'm not sure I'd let him chose a carpet without me having input, so deciding on our future seems like something we should decide on as a partnership.
    After all, we have striven for equality in so many ways, it seems strange that this is an area that has stuck with the patriarchal tradition. Just another point of view though. Can't say I'd be offended if he stuck to the traditional idea though, just very surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma

    Thanks for your comment. While I appreciate your take on it, I was gearing more to the notion of the actual proposal, not so much the roles of men and women. If my boyfriend proposed to me without any inclination that our relationship was heading in that direction, I would be shocked, but either way, I would still want him to ask the question.

    I completely agree with the carpet statement though!

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete