About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Sunday 5 February 2012

Sport...you either like it or you don't?

I have never been a natural athlete and sport was never my strongest subject at school. I was the one who was always the last to be picked for teams and used to dread sports day because I knew I would be publically humiliating myself even more by proving just how bad I was. I was somehow chosen to be on the Netball team when I was in lower school, probably because until I reached my teenage years I was one of the tallest in my class, but I didn’t carry on with it through middle school because I was too intimidated by the girls who joined the team.

Growing up, my family were big fans of keeping fit. My Mum used to be part of a local squash team, my Dad was an avid golfer and my brother loved football, but it was my sister who was the biggest fanatic of us all. She loved everything about sport and was a complete natural to any she tried. I remember going to watch her play netball on Sunday’s at our local sports centre and admiring how good she was. Even now when I watch her on the treadmill in the gym, I do so in awe because she makes it look so easy. For some reason though, I never took to it. I was more about playing musical instruments and singing in the choir, although I did try and get into it. I remember signing up to play tennis during school activities week one year in the hope that I would gain some confidence in the area where it was so obviously lacking, but it didn’t help. I finished the week feeling even more of an idiot than when I started!

Over the years I have tried to appreciate sport. I’ve sat with my dad while he watches the golf and listened as he explains to me what a birdie is and how you establish your handicap. I’ve watched the cricket, rugby and even a bit of football, but I just can’t find any enjoyment for it other than ogling over the fit men playing said games! I want to like it, not just because of the benefits it brings, but also because of the way it unites people.

I did participate in my biggest sporting challenge to date last year after doing at 26.2 mile walk to raise money for Cancer Research which made me realise I’m a lot more head strong that I thought. It also made me realise because I was never good at sport at school, doesn’t mean to say I will never be good at it again. I go to the gym three or four times a week and yes, it’s a mental struggle to get there, but after an hour of working out, those endorphins do make me feel so much better and that is what drives me to carry on.

I have now pledged to do at least one challenge every year in the hope I can break out of this negative cycle I am in with sport. This year I will be entering the 10k Race for Life. I did the 5k last year but power walked it so have decided to take the plunge and run this year instead. The distance doesn’t faze me, but the running does because I’m terrible at it! Thankfully, I am entering with six other friends who are already very confident runners, but they are supporting my efforts and that is spurring me on to train. Not only that, we are raising money together for a good cause so it will mean double the achievement if I can do it.

You never know, by the end of this, I could be that engrossed and fanatical with all things sport that I’m called up to do commentary for the Olympics in July…then again, maybe not!

No comments:

Post a Comment