About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Friday 29 May 2020

Coronavirus entry 13: The world is in uproar

I have sat down at my laptop on a number of occasions since my last post but have struggled to find the words to write anything. I have been feeling really stressed lately and the news is getting more horrendous every day. 

Despite us now having lost a total of 38,161 lives to this awful virus, the world witnessed something barbaric on Monday, when a 46 year old black man called George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis after being arrested for allegedly using counterfeit money. 

During his arrest, a white police officer called Derek Chauvin, knelt on George Floyd's neck for almost 9 minutes whilst he was handcuffed and face down on the floor. Despite his attempts to ask the police offer to stop, and repeatedly shouting "I can't breathe", onlookers pleaded for him to be let go. After four minutes, George Floyd was seen lying motionless on the floor and was later pronounced dead in hospital by medical professionals. 

Since then, all across America, there have been riots in protest and people all over the world are responding with the most incredible support and many questions are being raised on why things like this are still happening to black people.

We are living in 2020 now. People appear to be a lot more open and accepting of each other, and solidarity is definitely present, yet there are still people out there who deem is acceptable to treat a person with a lack of respect, dignity and brutality, because their skin colour is different. Why? 

This is an incredibly sad thing that has happened and it breaks my heart. More needs to be done to stop this cruel treatment taking place and now is the time for us to join together and do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment