About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Friday 20 April 2012

The girl on the hill

The spot at the top of the hill was her favourite. She loved to sit there on the pink blanket her mother knitted for her, over looking the landscape and taking in the beauty that was bestowed on her. The crisp blue sky looked so welcoming beaming down amongst the warmth of the mid day sun. Children swam and jumped off the rope attached to a tree over the lake, screaming in delight as they fell into the cold water with a big splash. Couples sat close together eating from picnic baskets; mothers fed their babies and dogs ran after sticks that were being thrown to them. The smell of food being cooked on a barbeque lingered and the distant sound of an ice cream van was gradually getting louder. Walkers passed by hand in hand smiling at the excitable children enjoying themselves, while others sat alone on benches or lying on the grass, reading books and listening to music.  

The sound of a train whistling nearby could soon be heard and all the children hurried together, running towards the tracks so they could stop and wave at the driver and passengers shouting “hello” as it passed by, occasionally getting waves back from those sitting in the carriages. She smiled as she remembers watching other children doing that when she was their age.

At the top of the hill stood a beautiful oak tree with a rustic old bench tucked away underneath it and she would always sit there to do her drawings. Nobody really sat there because they were always by the river playing with other children. She never joined in though, instead she took shelter under the tree and drew the pictures she secretly wished she was a part of.

Sitting back there now, at that very spot, all the memories she had came flooding back. She put her arm around him tightly and with a warm heart said “This is where we kissed for the first time”.  She could feel every muscle in her body relax as she reminded him of that day.  Of course, he remembered it as much as she did, but listened as the story was retold.  

“You asked me why I was sitting on my own under a tree and not playing with you all. The truth is, I was too shy. Everyday I would sit here and watch as you all played in the river. All that laughter echoing below me. I wanted to be a part of it so much, but I was too scared to join in. I was even a little bit jealous. I didn’t know what to say to you when you appeared, and to be honest, you scared me because I didn’t even realise you were walking towards me. I just stared at you in shock! You sat down next to me though and looked at what I was drawing. My heart was beating so fast I was convinced you could hear it. I couldn’t believe you were next to me because I had seen you so many times. So popular with everyone, but now you were here taking an interest on me, staring deep into my eyes. I could feel my cheeks burning as I saw you looking at me and I remember trying to say something, but before I had the chance, your lips were touching mine. I have to admit, I was a bit shocked at first, but I didn’t have a chance to fight it because it felt so good. Your soft lips on mine and you hand touching my cheek. I could feel the blood rushing though my body, my heat beating so fast. It was incredible and I didn’t want it to end. That kiss changed my life.”

He understood everything she say saying because he remembered that moment so vividly too. He often noticed the girl sitting under that tree, wondering why she was alone. Her long beautiful blonde hair tousled down over her shoulders captivated her beauty. She intrigued him, but all the other children would mock him for staring at her, and tease her, saying she was strange sitting alone all day long. It didn’t stop him wanting to know the girl at the top of the hill though. One day out of nowhere, he found the courage to find out more about her and began walking up to her. He had no idea what he was going to do or say to her when he got there, but he knew he had to meet her and find out who she was. He didn’t eve remember what he said when he reached her, but he did remember her beauty. In fact, she was even more beautiful up close than she was in the distance. Every hair on his body stood up as he saw how amazing this girl was. That day changed his life too, because when he kissed her, he knew they would be together forever. He fell in love that day.

“You changed everything for me. Up until that moment I felt lost and alone. I had nobody to talk to. Everyone thought I was odd. Even my own parents were concerned that I didn’t seem to have any friends. You saw past that though. My silly insecurities, my lack of confidence….it wasn’t an issue for you. For the first time in my life, there was someone wanting to get to know me for me and I wasn’t afraid to show you who I was. You brought me to life.”

Their love blossomed over the years and the passion and love they had for one another got stronger every day. Every morning when she woke up in his arms, or when ever she heard his voice, her body would tingle and her stomach tightened into a big knot of excitable nerves that would make her want to scream with happiness because she was so lucky to have him in her life.

Their wedding day was beautiful. Only a small gathering of friends around them to celebrate, but that’s all they wanted. That, and photo’s of them both underneath the oak tree on top of the hill. Their two children grew into beautiful and intelligent young adults and found their own loves, got married and had children. Life wasn’t always easy and they had their share of problems, but their love never faded and they stuck by one another through the good and bad.

As she continued with the story one more time at the top of the hill, new lives were unfolding below them. The river was still safe enough for children to play in, although parents seemed a little more anxious about them doing so. The bench under the tree was now full of graffiti and this once quiet haven known to only a handful of children had now been discovered by many and was being enjoyed as a popular spot to visit during the summer. Their lives had reached full circle, meeting here at the tender age of 15 and now back to where it all began at the ripe old age of 85. She knew it had to be here though. No other place on earth carried such significance to them both. It was their place. She stood up from the bench and watched the scene one more time. Slowly unscrewing the urn, she poured out his ashes, and a gentle breeze crept up, taking him back down the hill towards the river. She watched as he was scattered over the grass to the point where he stood on that brave day watching her. Tears rolled down her cheeks as the man she loved so dearly disappeared from her view. He was gone now, but she could never forget him. He completed her, made her into the strong, incredible and caring mother, wife and person she is today. He risked his own fears by approaching her that day and it paid off, and for that, she was always grateful.

“Thank you for loving me and making all of my dreams come true. I love you”.

No comments:

Post a Comment