About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Tuesday 27 May 2014

"Show me how you burlesque"

Over the bank holiday I unleashed my naughty side by taking part in my first ever Burlesque dance class. It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time, so when the opportunity came up as part of a hen weekend in Birmingham for my friend Lauren, I couldn't wait to get involved!


The hour and a half class for us hens was run by Twinkle; a cheeky, sassy and confident instructor who taught us to stand, walk, pose and act burlesque. From the Marilyn walk to side steps, swirling boa's around our body to a bit of bump and grind and working those bum cheeks to peeling off long gloves and stockings, we did it all!

Despite the little devil in me screaming to get out, I was a little apprehensive at first and did hold back until I found I was quite a natural at doing the shoulder shimmy! By then, I was very much in my element thinking I was Christina Aguilera dancing on stage waiting for Mr Diet Coke man to surface so I can seduce him before he realises what a novice I am!


Everything about the class screamed fun. I didn't find any of it tacky, in fact, it made us all very aware of using our bodies to seduce, but also show off what we have in a flirty and entertaining way. There are no set rules to burlesque so even if you make a few mistakes, it's easy to use charm and wit to cover it up...and maybe a cheeky arm to ankle extension to show off your cleavage!


We continued with the theme by braving a night out down Broad Street dressed in Burlesque costumes. Corsets on, hair extensions in, pouty red lips on show and boas at the ready, we piled into a few bars and it wasn't long before we were alcohol fuelled and putting our moves into practice.

It was fair to say everywhere we went we didn't go un-noticed. There were some guys who looked really impressed, and a few who just didn't know where to look! All of them contributed to a great night out for us though and Twinkle's lesson earlier that day paid off whilst we were on the dance floor because we really did show them how to Burlesque!

It was a great experience and have to admit, I felt really sexy in my corset so it definitely brought out a side of me that I liked, so much so, I'm looking to enrol in more burlesque classes locally within the new few months. My friends have even joked about me becoming a full time instructor myself! All I can say to that is never say never....


No comments:

Post a Comment