About Me

My photo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Welcome to my Blog. I set this up after realising I spend far too much time updating my Facebook status and living in hope that one day a celeb will reply to one of my Tweets. So if you like reality TV, makeup, short story ideas, magazines, chocolate and the occasional gym class, then this is the blog for you. Now get that tea brewing, grab a couple of digestives and let yourself escape into my world...you never know, you might like it here!

Thought of the day...

"The best time for new beginnings is now..."

Saturday 18 April 2020

Coronavirus entry 7: Lockdown extension

It's been three weeks since the Government ordered the country to go into lockdown and on Thursday of this week we were told to continue for another three. This takes us to 7th May, three days before my 40th and six days before my sisters birthday! 

I'm not in any anyway anticipating freedom from that day onwards, but there is a part of me still hoping something will be lifted so I can spend the day with at least one person! 

Realistically though, I'm also planning a digital lockdown party as a back up so either way, I'm still going to celebrate. It just feels weird that, on a landmark birthday, where so many people choose to hide away and not face it, I was going all out that weekend and had a big party planned with hair and makeup booked in too, but instead I will actually be hiding indoors on my own! 

Don't worry, I'm not getting down about it because I'm still going to celebrate when it's safe to do so...it's just gives me more time to ponder over what dress I'm going to wear! 

Back to the seriousness of lockdown...

In my first coronavirus entry on 22nd March, I said 281 people in the UK had died of this awful virus. It is now 27 days later and the current number of deaths in this country has reached 15,464 with a total number of confirmed cases at 114,217.

I even looked up how many local cases of the virus there are and in Northamptonshire, there have been 820 confirmed cases out of a local population of 747,622. (Confirmed cases only include those testing positive for the virus, not all will have been tested. Deaths in England only include those in hospitals, those outside England may include a small number that occured in the community.)

It's so scary and absolutely devastating that so many lives have been taken from this. Globally, the current death toll exceeds 158,000 which is something I find so difficult to take in. The worst thing is we haven't even reached the peak yet. It's thought that we are nearing it, but all that means is, those death rate numbers are set to soar. 

It won't surprise me if the Government start to put tighter restrictions in the next week or so in an attempt to help curb those numbers, but saying that, I thought the same last week too. Let's just hope people listen and stay in and keep remembering wash their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment